Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
Are you the child of toxic parents?
When you were a child...
• Did your parents tell you you were bad or worthless?
• Did your parents use physical pain to discipline you?
• Did you have to take care of your parents because of their problems?
• Were you often frightened of your parents?
• Did your parents do anything to you that had to be kept secret?
Now that you're an adult...
• Do your parents still treat you as if you were a child?
• Do you have intense emotional or physical reactions after spending time with your parents?
• Do your parents control you with threats or guilt? Do they manipulate you with money?
• Do you feel that no matter what you do, it's never good enough for your parents?
In this remarkable self-help guide, Dr. Susan Forward draws on case histories and the real-life voices of adult children of toxic parents to help you free yourself from the frustrating patterns of your relationship with your parents — and discover a new world of self-confidence, inner strength, and emotional independence.
Susan Forward, Ph.D., is an internationally renowned therapist, lecturer, and author of the number one
New York Times bestsellers
Toxic Parents and
Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them, as well as
Betrayal of Innocence: Incest and Its Devastation,
When Your Lover Is a Liar, and
In addition to her private practice, for five years she hosted a daily ABC talk-radio program. She has also served widely as a group therapist, instructor, and consultant in many southern California medical and psychiatric facilities, and she formed the first private sexual abuse treatment center in California. She lives in Los Angeles and has two grown children.
Dr. Forward maintains offices in Sherman Oaks, California. For further information, call (818) 986-1161.
Craig Buck, a film and television writer and producer, has also written extensively on human behavior for many national magazines and newspapers. He is the co-author, with Susan Forward, of
Betrayal of Innocence, and
Money Demons. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and daughter.