Tale of Two Cities
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
- The first edition of the novel (1859) accompanied by twenty-seven illustrations, from original images by Halbot Knight Browne ("Phiz") to cartoons from The Simpsons.
- An expansive introduction and detailed explanatory annotations by Robert Douglas-Fairhurst.
- Thematically organised contextual materials designed to promote classroom discussion. Topics include "Dickens on France and the French", "Revolution and Aftermath", "Living Graves", "Learning French", "The Composition of A Tale of Two Cities" and "Theatrical Versions".
- Fourteen major critical assessments of A Tale of Two Cities: five contemporary reviews and nine modern essays.
- A chronology and a selected bibliography.
Charles Dickens (1812-1870) is one of the most acclaimed and popular writers of all time. His many works include the classics The Old Curiosity Shop, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, Barnaby Rudge, A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Bleak House, Hard Times, Our Mutual Friend, The Pickwick Papers and many more.